Northwestern State was established in 1884 in the old Bullard Mansion atop a hill overlooking the bustling river port city of Natchitoches.
The campus grew as the school expanded from a two-year degree for teachers at Louisiana State Normal School to the four-year education degree at Louisiana Normal College in 1921. In 1944, the school became Northwestern State College and Northwestern State University in 1970.
Today over 125 years later, three columns remain of the original structure on what is now called Normal Hill in a National Historic District, the oldest continually occupied site for higher education in Louisiana.
The campus expanded to the south and west as the school grew, satellite campuses developed in Shreveport, Alexandria and at Fort Polk, and today its Distance Learning Program allows students around the world to study at Northwestern.
Yet with all the growth, the heart of the university is still its people. And those people over the years have made great strides in society. Traditions are a part of any institution, and Northwestern State prides itself on what has developed in its history.
Our Heritage celebrates the history, traditions and people that have made us the special place we are today.